Norman Noel Aylmer

Norman Noel Aylmer
25 December 1921 - 8th April 2006

Sunday 30 November 2008

Letters from a Teenager, Battle of Britain 1940

The following are 2 letters that my late father sent to his evacuated Sister during the Battle of Britain in WW2. When I first read the letters I was overwhelmed. Copies have been sent to the Imperial War Musium in London; who have asked for the originals.

The letters tell a remarkable story of how one teenager tried to go about his 'normal' daily life amid the death and destruction going on all around at the time.

What is impressive is the matter-of-fact way he described the devastation of London, night after night. I noted too, that everyone fought their way to work the next day despite the hardships and lack of sleep the night before. These letters are a lesson to the modern day whinger generation "Look, this is what we did, this is what we were".

No comments:



Followers

About Me

My photo
Stratford-Upon-Avon, Shakespeares Country, United Kingdom

My wife Lita and I live with our cats (two young RagDolls and our 20 Year Old British Blue Missy) in Shakespeare’s country by the Cotswolds where we enjoy country walks and eating in all the wonderful restaurants that this area has to offer. This idyll belies the time when I was out of work and homeless, suffering from panic attacks and contemplated suicide
How I turned my life around is detailed on my website
Click Here to visit My Website
Please feel free to leave your comments
For the last 25 years I have run my own businesses. 12 months ago, I 'discovered' the internet and I am now beginning to earn more of my income from this wonderful medium. In the next 12 months I predict this will be my main source of income.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have that I may be able to help you with.
These can be about your internet experiences and aspirations or anything else that is on your mind; I look forward to hearing from you.

I will always do my best to help you.